Wednesday, October 22, 2008

You have to try this restaurant: Bianca


You know what they say, "When times are tough, spend your money on food." (Actually they don't say that, but with a deal like this place, you can!)

I really promise you that not everything I post on here will be related to Italy (I'm serious), but on Brendan's (my roommate and co-author) recommendation we went to Bianca in NoHo and it was some of the best Italian food I have had in this city (no really, I am being serious!). We started off with some appetizers, including fried baby artichokes, portabella mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese, and a vegetable lasagna (layers of zucchini, eggplant, and peppers) along with a very delicious and inexpensive wine: Dolcetto d'Alba. The wine was a fruity red that went well with our entire meal.

For dinner, I had the lasagna which immediately brought me back to skiing in Bormio, Italy...they serve lasagna like this right on the ski slopes. It is perfect for a cold, wintery night...layers of homemade pasta, bechamel, meat sauce, and cheese. I promised myself I wouldn't eat the whole thing, but ended up nearly licking the plate and sopping up whatever little bit of amazing, grandma-esque sauce was left on the plate with a piece of bread. Brendan had a sausage and bean dish that was delicious which he says reminded him of Cassoulet from the French Alps (don't worry, I don't know what that is either) and our friend Peter had chicken poached in balsamic that was creamy, fall off the bone deliciousness.

The best part, all of this cost under $40 a person, including dessert and wine! Do yourself a favor and check this place out. Your taste buds (and wallet) will thank you, not to mention the friends you bring with you!

Bianca
Bowery and Bleeker
Cash Only/No Reservations

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this restaurant! I have been there a number of times and I adore their ravioli!