Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brussels Sprouts with Red Onions and Balsamic Glaze


A post from our favorite guest contributor and roommate. Here goes:

Don't make that face! Yes, they're brussels sprouts, no they're not disgusting. I've officially converted a minimum of five people - possibly more - using this recipe. Give it a shot. And if you don't have balsamic glaze handy (I buy it bottled from Blaze, which you can get on Amazon - they didn't even pay me to say that!) just use balsamic vinegar. Seriously, it's almost as good, and you'll still love the sprouts. Just trust me on this one.

What you need:
*A bunch of BS (say, 20 or 30 of them)
*A medium red onion
*Olive Oil
*Balsamic glaze
*2 or 3 Cloves of Garlic
*Salt & Pepper

What you do:
1. Rinse and peel the brussels, and begin steaming them for 10 minutes.
2. While they're steaming, chop up the garlic really well (I like three cloves, but you can do two if you want - I won't judge you). Also chop up the red onion into magnetic poetry sized pieces.
3. Get the garlic and the onion going over a medium flame with plenty of olive oil. Stop the sauteing when the onions start to get translucent. Don't over cook them! This only takes like two minutes, seriously. Then take them off the heat.
4. When the brussels sprouts are done steaming, throw them straight into the pan with the onions and garlic and olive oil. And reheat if you have to over a low heat.
5. Put them on a plate and drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top.
6. Delicious.

Serves 2-3

2 comments:

Laura said...

Great idea Dennis! I am in love with recipe blogs -- now I have another one to read. Oh, and tell Brendan that I expect his next contribution to be Kate Bosworth Pasta.

He's lucky that you're his roommates, otherwise he might still be making green meatballs (or other high school culinary horrors).

learninghorses said...

MMMmmmm. . .I am convinced brussel sprouts can be better than people think and I think this receipe might add them as a staple to my diet.