Monday, October 20, 2008

So why start a recipe blog?

I know, I know. You are thinking it or saying it or want to say it: Why another blog in cyberspace? Is this going to be another thing I have to check every day? Am I going to be the helpless victim of another pink haired crazy person talking about Britney's latest drug problem or how Lindsay Lohan kissed a girl and liked it?

Not exactly. Let me tell you a bit about myself and why I decided to start "Big D and the Recipe."

I have always been obsessed with food. From a young age I was always the one in the family who would ask if we could eat out at some fancy new restaurant. I was the one at summer camp who would fake being injured so I could help the chef prepare dinner rather than going swimming at the lake. I was the one who spent days at my Uncle's side while he taught me knife skills and culinary techniques. He had me making my own Pad Thai at age 12! I am even the guy who has his own bottle of olive oil infused with truffles at work...weird, I know.

Being the oldest of three, my younger siblings didn't always share the same culinary enthusiasm as I did. I can remember my brother complaining when we ate out. Having to sit through the courses was a nightmare for him and I remember yelling at him because he wouldn't just sit there and enjoy.(Fifteen years later he now comes to visit me in NYC and the first thing asks me is "Where are we going to eat?".) I guess food just has this certain warmth to it, this certain family element, that always makes me feel at home. I always thought it was just me, but having gone to NYU and now living in NYC in my young adult life has left me happily surprised that I am not the only one. (And even people like my brother can be converted!)

And it's not just the food, it's everything that goes with it. It's cooking it, eating it, learning about it, and tasting it. It's sharing it, shopping for it, preparing it, and enjoying it. I am obsessed with the whole world of food. (Just ask my friends about my obsession with kitchen appliances. I have been known to say Subzero and Viking in my sleep. Don't laugh, it's friggin beautiful stuff!)

So I guess this isn't just a recipe blog but really a culinary experience blog. It's about me, my friends, my family, and our obsession with all things food. This actually all started with my friend Allison wanting my Black Bean and Corn Salad recipe and then my roommate Brendan wanting to post about his Brussel Sprouts.(They are good, trust me! Did you know you can call them Brussel Sprouts or Brussels Sprouts?) We all have a lot to say about food (and drink) and I figured this would be a perfect outlet. So I hope you will check in regularly to see what's new, what's old, and what's delicious. (I promise this will be fun to read!) Also, feel free to submit recipes, ideas, or anything that you want me to write about. (Unless it's anchovies. I hate anchovies.)

P.S. Why "Big D"? Well my name is Dennis, I am a big Italian guy, and recipe rhymed! (makes sense, right?)

2 comments:

sness said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and relating to BD&R… I love not just a multitude of cuisine styles, but the entire experience of creating and then consuming among fabulous company. Looking forward to many more installments of Bid D and the Recipe!

littlenycgal said...

only you chitro my culinary king...only you. i luv it!